Centar za direktnu zastitu ljudskih prava
The Group's approach towards human rights issues is based on three levels of involvement:
- providing aid to specific persons with concrete problems
- aiding in the prevention of violations of laws that protect human rights
- aiming to publicize our activities as well as influence public opinion through use of the media.
WHAT DO WE DO?
- investigate and process complaints of unlawful dicrimination in housing (forced evictions from ex-Army apartments), employment, citizenship
- provide free legal service for refugees and displaced persons
- investigate complaints and conditions cosign community tensions and conflicts which could lead to breaches of the peace and public order
- identify and attempt to influence the chaining of laws which violate rights and their disputed articles
- organize public meetings, talks and publish leaflets with human rights topics
HOW WE CAN DO MORE?
Even though the Constitutional standards for protection of basic freedoms and rights of people are highest possible, their violations and problems in implementation are more then obvious. It is also obvious that citizens themselves are not aware of their rights and the means they can use to realize them through the state official procedure. "Subject mentality" together with "fear from publicity" are still imminent in average citizens approach to authorities. Therefore our future activities included present are planned on several levels:
- stimulating people to organize themselves in protecting their own rights and interests
- emphasizing problems and pointing out opinion on better and more efficient implementation of human rights protection mechanisms for individuals
AntiWar Campaign was established in 1991 and the Group for Direct Protection of Human Rights developed within it during the spring of 1993. AWC's Group for Direct Protection of Human Rights functions in Zagreb. As a member of the Coordination of Organisations for Protection and Promotion Human Rights, it cooperates closely with other groups and organizations in Croatia on solving problems, organizing public talks, press conferences and campaigns concerning rights issues.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
- support our work and exchange with us your knowledge and experience in the field of protection and promotion of human rights
- became part of our ALTER HUMAN RIGHTS NETWORK
- just send us a postcard, it will be a big support and motive for us
Last updated: September 1998